Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Author In The Zone ~ BethAnn Buehler

Our fourth Author In The Zone is Indianapolis based writer, BethAnn Buehler. Below, BethAnn talks about her new book, Broken Together.

BethAnn Buehler is a writer based in the heart of the States, Indianapolis, Indiana. BethAnn is the author of Broken Together, the first book in the Rebel Canyon Series, which releases on September 14th. A former teacher turned stay-at-home mom, when BethAnn isn't writing she enjoys reading and playing tennis, but can usually be found folding laundry and burning dinner.

Hi BethAnn, welcome to Authors In The Zone.
Hey there. Thanks so much for having me. Had to cross an ocean to get here, but it's more than worth it.

What is your forthcoming book called?
Broken Together.

Is it fully complete or are you still tweaking?
It's completely finished and ready to go. I can't wait!

Tell us a little about it?
Broken Together is the first in a three part series of novels featuring a small town called Rebel Canyon, where readers invest in the lives of three close friends.
Bryn Baxter is hugely successful professionally, but when it comes to relationships, let me just be candid--she's a mess. When her otherwise orderly life falls apart, Bryn gets help from a hired gun, Beck Reynolds. Bryn wants the fairy tale, but she doesn't want to have to think about how to make it all work. So Beck takes control...

Tell us about your route to publication? Who, if anyone, helped you along the way?
Well, Broken Together took thirteen months to write and I have to say my oldest and dearest girlfriend was there every step of the way offering opinions and questioning my story line and ideas. I always tease that without her my novel would have been a paragraph.

How do you intend to market your book?
That dirty word--marketing. No, honestly, marketing is so important. I take multi-faceted approach which includes visiting with great folks like yourself, networking through blog sites and review forums as well as social networking sites such as facebook. I market locally as well. Everyone from the people at my local Starbucks, to the dry cleaner to the dentist to the secretary at the school my son attends knows about Broken Together!

What is the release date for the book?
September 14th, 2010

Tell us a little about your writing process?
I try to write something every day, even if it's just as simple as character name, research or setting. While my muse, Arje, and I are both work horses and prefer the 3,000 word days, I'm raising a nine year old so I wear a lot of hats around the house/office.

What advice would you have for new writers?
There are several things that I think are key for new writers. Take an editing/proofreading course early on. It's so much easier to write well the first time than re-write (learned this little tip the hard way). Network with other serious writers and join a writer's group if at all possible.
I am blessed to have four critique partners, women whom I respect and trust to give me honest feedback. They are the best! Relax. It seemed to me that once I started writing and networking, everyone was writing and getting published. I'm competitive by nature so sometimes I have to remind myself that there's room for everyone and this career isn't a race.

BethAnn's Wesite can be found here.

BethAnn's sister blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment