Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Author In The Zone ~ Heather McAlendin.

Author In The Zone ~ Heather McAlendin

Heather McAlendin is a fiction writer located in Toronto, Ontario Canada. She is originally from the Northern Ontario town of Timmins.

Hi Heather, Welcome to Author in the Zone. How long have you been writing? I have been writing for as long as I can remember. Started off with short stories and poetry in High School and now concentrate on novel length work and some novellas.

Give us a little background to your writing work to date?
I started writing supernatural or paranormal fiction (vampires,dream-walkers etc.) and have recently branched out in erotic romance and suspense. I don't like to be boxed in to one genre or another. I love to go wherever my imagination takes me!

Have you had any dealings with agents? I had an agent for a brief period. Unfortunately she passed away before being able to really get a start with me. I have been looking for a new agent but so far have not had any luck. I will plod along as an independent author for now.

What's the last book you read?
"Spying in High Heels" by Gemma Halliday.

How do you market your writing? I have a limited budget, so I try and make use of what I have at my disposal. I utilize social networking sites; my own website; twitter; target marketing via email and I write my own press releases.

What's your view on self publishing via traditional publishing?
I have utilized both self publishing and small traditional publishers. I think in this day and age there no reason to restrict how you get your work out there. Admittedly the self publishing route is more difficult as you are responsible for your own marketing and editing, but I love the creative freedom it offers. I do hope that one day i will been able to go bit more mainstream.

What services do you use to print your writing?
Currently I use Lulu.com and I upload my work for Kindle downloads via Amazon.com in order to self publish. My current publisher for my more mainstream work is Eternal Press.

Where can book lovers find examples of your work?
Readers are quite welcome to visit my website where there are links to all my work, including my photography.

What advice would you offer new writers? The only advice I have is to keep writing! There will be naysayers and those who will give you negative reviews. Stay true to your vision. And remember that most reviews are not authors. Go where you imagination leads you and see what happens. Have fun with it. When is stops being fun, then it may be time to look into another line of work. A writer's life is not easy nor is it financially stable so be prepared, but if it is your passion...Go For It!

Great advice Heather. Thanks for taking part.
Thanks Noel!

Heather's Website can be found here.

1 comment: