Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Puyoled !

Spain had the best of the opening exchanges in the second of the World Cup semi finals this evening with David Villa and Puyol going close for Spain in the first fifteen minutes. That apart both teams scrapped their way to the half time whistle allowing each other nothing but half chances from outside their opponents boxes. Spain had the majority of the possession but were not able to break the Germans down. For a World Cup semi it was a poor display from both teams and the hardest job I had was keeping my eyes open. The beautiful game it wasn't!

Spain continued to press in the second half and the game began to open out a little. Puyol made up for his earlier miss when he rose highest on 71 minutes to head a corner beyond the German keeper. The European champions were worth the lead. As the game progressed Spain were by far the superior team and the Germans were unable to take the ball from them.
The Germans were not the team they were in previous rounds and Spanish delight was evident when an excuse for a referee finally blew an end to proceedings to send the nation into rapture.

At least, and never one to gloat, I did predict the result and scoreline. Pity I forgot to put money on it. Mainly due to the fact I have none. Just as well because I would have lost a fortune.

So just two matches left. Uruguay play Germany on Saturday for third place. I'll go with a German win by 2-1.

It's really difficult to see past Spain based on quality but I'm going to stick my head on the block one final time and predict the Dutch to win an epic final full of goals and red cards by 4-3.
Am i dreaming? Let's face it, I rarely do anything else!

No comments:

Post a Comment