Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Puppet Show.

With all the plans I had now up in the air until I can either find a job or emigrate there is not much more I can do but figure something out. I think my future now lies in the hands of someone with a bit of clout, someone who appreciates hard work and what a person stands for. I need to find that person.
I watched with sadness as Ireland went from a country giving it's people great hope for the first time in its history; to returning to one that spits her children from her shore and once again see the systems of the land do everything to break the will of those who remain.
A friend of mine who got that message many years ago and made his way to Canada, wrote me a letter of support last night and quoted James Joyce's, Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man, "When the soul of a man is born in this country there are nets flung at it to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets."

I have wrote two emails back to the person who refused my application asking for reasons. They have not been replied to so far. I have also wrote to the Department of Social Welfare about appealing the decision. Again, no reply. I was going through an avalanche of emails last night concerning all efforts I've made to get some advice or help along the road I've took since August 2009. Combined, they make the skin crawl at the appalling failures within our systems here in Ireland.
Like I said, I won't take thing lying down, and i will continue to use this blog to record this time both in my life and in Ireland's history. A record of what Ireland is and stands for at this time. Not the fault of Ireland or the majority of its decent people, but those who have run this country to serve themselves and no one else, particularly over the past 30 years. With their cronies and practice of cronyism.
Some will say you don't do yourself any favours by saying these things, but silence breathes acceptability and what is going on in this country right now is not acceptable. I guess it becomes a little more personal when you do all you can do, and you are still not taken seriously, a country where effort counts for little and the words of politicians ring hallow.

The election campaign got under way yesterday with those looking to get into power taking to the streets. I long for them to come knocking on my door. There's not much to choose from, the main parties all joined at the hip to Europe, patsy's for the rich, monsters to the margins. We haven't even begun to address the underlying fraud and corruption that lies at the bottom of where we find ourselves.
GardaĆ­ are investigating the theft of laptops from the Revenue Commissioners a few days ago. Wait for it, they contain the records of Fianna Fail-linked developers under investigation for alleged tax evasion. News worthy, yet it has barely featured on the national news.
It's just the tip of the iceberg on a shambles that goes back years. I'm glad there is a record of it here on this blog every step of the way. Little has been done to address this and over the next few years when the austerity measures bite further into Ireland's psyche and she will find herself in a terrible place.
I don't want my kids to see that and how we let the top people in this society basically do as they please and never be held to account while those at the bottom get stripped of everything, sometimes all the way down to their lives itself.

I'm off to see can I contact some publications both here and abroad to see if they might be interested in a running commentary on this election as seen through the eyes of someone tuned into what's going on.
I know some guys from other countries read here from time to time. For your entertainment, here is a video released by Fine Gael themselves about Enda Kenny's recent grooming trip to Brussels. Give it ten seconds and you get the idea why people are leaving Ireland at a rate of 1,000 a week.

It may be funny for some, but it's not funny having to live through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment