Thursday, March 17, 2011

Green Day

To people, Irish or otherwise, I hope you have had or are having a great St. Patrick's Day. To celebrate, in a writing sense as opposed to the more fun way, I've included a few quotes from people who spoke of Ireland or are from Irish stock, people who have helped make us a truly unique race on this little Planet of ours.
Enjoy...

Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a best-seller that could have been prevented by a good teacher.
Flannery O'Connor

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted.
George Best

We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English.
Winston Churchill

Hugging trees has a calming effect on me. I'm talking about enormous trees that will be there when we are all dead and gone. I've hugged trees in every part of this little island.
Gerry Adams

All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed.
Sean O'Casey

This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
Sigmund Freud, speaking of the Irish. (allegedly)

The most important thing to remember about drunks is that drunks are far more intelligent than non-drunks. They spend a lot of time talking in pubs, unlike workaholics who concentrate on their careers and ambitions, who never develop their higher spiritual values, who never explore the insides of their head like a drunk does.
Shane MacGowen

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
Brendan Gill

I'm Irish. I think about death all the time.
Jack Nicholson

and my own particular favourite ...
I am a drinker with a writing problem.
Brendan Behan

Happy St.Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment