Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Completion Steps.

Sometimes it's great to just come in here and do a little aimless writing. Though it may not be to everyone's taste all of the time due to my meandering, there is a certain kindness to myself when I write and not have to worry that every last detail with all that is writing is perfect when I finish.

It's getting close on one year since I began writing this blog. It's definitely had more ups than downs in the in-between. Late last week, I sat down for a chat with a friend who has being helpful with bringing the book to a conclusion through it's many re-drafts. We were glad when we finally could put the words, The End at the bottom of the last page.
Early indications are that it won't be picked up by anyone anytime soon but that was never an issue. I promised myself when I began, I'd publish it some time and I aim to remain true to that.
If I have to go down the road of self-publishing in the weeks ahead it was time to focus on delivering a draft that in fact was not the final one, but one that needed a copy-edit and a final proof. I attempted to source someone who may have experience with this area but it's a hard find when one can't pay.
I searched around and found a programme on-line which you can run a document through and it will advise there after. It's quite intensive but the choice is left with you. It takes me through everything which I then have to address in the manuscript. Today was a 12 hour day and I got through twenty pages. My bad!

I think most writers would like the benefit of a team around them as they go through a writing process. I think all writers aspire to be all they can be in the writing of a story and constant improvement is always on the agenda. The art form. Teasing all that you have to offer inside to come out. To make it all it can be for any readers pleasure if they deem your words worthy enough.
It's a test for me to do this copy edit and then a final proof. It's slow and mind numbing sometimes when you try to process 'the rules' and implement them as best you can without losing the soul you wrote the story with. Attempting to keep the voice it was wrote with, and not lose it to the scientific involved. Will I be damned if I use fragmentary sentences or if i miss a comma somewhere?
I've read books where their was little or no punctuation. James Frey for instance. It worked for him in the first instance. It was about the writing and what he laid bare, be it slightly souped-up in areas.

It's going to be a long week. I just want to get to a stage where I have a manuscript I'd be happy enough to send to the printer. Little changes but most necessary. Painful to do due to my inexperience of going over something with a fine tooth comb. CSI, no problem, final stages of a book, hmmmm!
Sacrilegious almost, isn't it?

I'll reward myself in a few weeks when I get to write the first draft of a story I'm working on as part of the Intercontinental Ink writing group. 10,000 words is not as daunting as 100,000. I plan to use the rest of the year to write that and flesh out the story for my second book, a complete break away from the world of Don Booker and testing the waters with something completely different as well as a whole lot darker. Time to get out of Ireland for a time too....if only in my head....and that's why I love to do it. Writing lets you wander in any place you want and with anyone you wish to journey with. If it's good enough it will find it's audience someday. That much I do believe in. No point being lazy in making it all that it should be if you believe along those lines. As an old friend of mine used to say,
'Where there's a will there's an 18 hour day.'

No comments:

Post a Comment